The oldest trophy in international sport: re-energized by unprecedented collaboration between the Defender and the Challengers.
- New, fair rules and independent professional management will give an equal opportunity to all teams
- A new class of fast, exciting boats created in conjunction with all teams
- The 159 year old competition made irresistible to commercial partners with regular racing in multiple venues under professional, neutral race management
- Transformed television and online coverage will place race fans right at the heart of the action, wherever they are in the world
Speaking in the Sala Exedra in Rome's Musei Capitolini, surrounded by some of Rome's most precious treasures, Russell Coutts representing the defending Golden Gate Yacht Club and Vincenzo Onorato on behalf of the Challenger of Record, mapped out the future of the America's Cup.
Key dates announced:
- Protocol for the 34th America's Cup will be issued by 31st August
- Design rule released by 30th September
- Notice of Race & Sailing Instructions published by 31st December
- Venue confirmed by 31st December
- Challenge Period open from 1st October - 31st January 2011
Renowned but neutral designers - Bruce Nelson and Peter Melvin - have created two different concepts - a multihull and a monohull. Teams will sit down this month and discuss which concept to adopt and begin the process to create a design rule. Cities in the USA and Europe are under consideration.
Russell Coutts: "Every candidate city knows that a very strong case has already been put forward by San Francisco."
Highlights from the 34th America's Cup press
- New design of yacht - currently concepts being drawn up for a Monohull by Bruce Nelson and a Multihull by Morelli and Melvin
- Decision to be taken by competitors/teamsYacht is to be fast, physically demanding and hooked up with cameras and microphones for live onboard experience
- Yacht must work on television and trials will take place in the coming months to explore concepts
- Collaboration with World Sailing Teams Association (Louis Vuitton Cup) to provide annual racing series
- Coutts: "Larry is open to take this America's Cup to any venue" - Venue to be decided by end of year
- Protocol published end of August. NoR and SIs end of December. Last entrries until end of Jan 2011
- 2013-2014 For next Cup
- Coutts: "to have 8 or 10 very competitive teams is fantastic" - quality over quantity
- Neutral race management who have more authority
- BMW Oracle will not race in Challenger Selection Series at venue
- Defence will be open to other American Teams
- Races designed for Television with start time and finish time to fit schedules Coutts hinted that previous significant commercial partners are now interested in returning to AC34