The Extreme Sailing Series welcomes the latest team to join the 2011 global circuit, taking the tally up to 11 world class teams. 'Team Extreme' will be skippered by experienced Olympic multihull sailor Roland Gaebler.
Using the platform of the Dusseldorf Boat Show, the world's largest yacht and watersports trade fair, Gaebler made his announcement alongside Extreme Sailing Series 'Official Clothing Supplier' Marinepool, who this year celebrate their 20th anniversary.
One of the world's most accomplished multihull sailors and International Tornado class president, Roland Gaebler is not new to the challenges of Extreme 40 racing. In 2009 he skippered the German Extreme 40 'Team Wirsol' at the Kiel event and in 2010 Gaebler led the Hungarian team, Team Nokia Hungary.
Bruno Dubois (CAN) and Sebbe Godefroid (BEL) complete the core crew and the three have an impressive collective CV with 9 Olympic Games, 2 Olympic medals, 7 World Championship titles, 3 America's Cups and 2 world sailing records between them.
Groupe Edmond De Rothschild have also recently announced their chosen skipper for 2011. Pierre Pennec, tactician for the 2010 and 2009 series will this year be taking the helm and hoping to improve on last years second place in the series.
2011 Confirmed Teams & Skippers: Team Name - Nat. - Skipper Name - Nat.
- Alinghi - SUI - TBC - FRA
- Artemis Racing - SWE - Terry Hutchinson - USA
- Emirates Team New Zealand - NZL - Dean Barker
- Groupe Edmond de Rothschild - FRA - Pierre Pennec - FRA
- Luna Rossa - ITA - Max Sirena - ITA
- Niceforyou - ITA - Alberto Barovier - ITA
- Oman Air - OMA - Sidney Gavignet - FRA
- Red Bull Extreme Sailing - AUT - Roman Hagara
- Team Extreme - EUR -Roland Gaebler - GER
- Team GAC Pindar - GBR - Ian Williams - GBR
- The Wave, Muscat - OMA - Torvar Mirsky - AUS